Mission & Programs
The Shala is a 501c3 charity with a mission to support underserved rural populations in Cumberland County, NC, Cook County, IL and Ferry County, WA.
We are a 100% volunteer organization that focuses on helping underrepresented women and children learn valuable creative arts and self-sufficiency skills while promoting ecologically responsible farming practices and sustaining natural habitats for wildlife and future generations. We help underrepresented people develop practical skills through creative arts, wildlife habitat stewardship, and permaculture education programs.
over the years, we’ve evolved from crafting sales and animal rescue to wildlife habitat preservation, permaculture education, and self-sufficiency education. we’ll continue to evolve as the local communities we support require us to. however, our values are rooted in empowering, educating, and enabling people to sustain natural resources, respect flora & fauna, and develop greater independence.
We accomplish this mission with 2 charitable programs within local communities like Ferry County, WA, Moore County, NC and Cook County, IL.
- For Good Cause: The purpose of this program is to provide free creative arts and self-sufficiency skills programs resulting in resources generated for local animal rescues each year. Our past and current workshops help participants learn how to make handmade products that can be sold at local arts & crafts fairs as well as online. In addition, they learn how to operate and maintain a small business as well as the technologies supporting them.For example, our watercolor and graphic design workshops for a local high school group generated over 300 greeting cards and customized notebooks that they then sold at art fair kiosks and through social media book clubs. The result was raising almost $600 for a local Fayetteville animal rescue and for purchasing video equipment for an upcoming virtual permaculture class. In addition, the participants learned how to make greeting cards, graphic design basics, marketing and selling their work, basic financial analysis, and the administrative work involved in operating the kiosk.
- The Shala: The purpose of this program is to help underserved rural communities learn practical skills and the value of sustaining wildlife habitats for future generations. This new program will include natural wildlife habitat stewardship, permaculture education programs, and virtual tours. Our goal will be to partner with a local university to serve as stewards and guides for best practises and veracity.
Our Impact & Progress
- Program 1 in 2021: For Good Cause
- 4 virtual handicraft events were hosted with a participation of 3-9 adult participants between the ages of 18 and 74. Participants learned how to create greeting cards, watercoloured notebooks, healing scrapbooks, planner accessories, quilts, sewn bags, dog beds, and digital graphic designs.
- Leftover handicrafts made by volunteers were given to donors as thank you gifts.
- Donations were used to pay for art supplies, workshop maintenance, property maintenance, technology services, and animal rescue supplies.
- Artwork completed by volunteers and intern beneficiaries were shared on social media and put on permanent display on the program website.
- More than 95% of all contributions went to pay for program expenses
- Program 2 in 2021: The Shala
- In August 2021, 110 acres of Designated Forest Land (DFL) in Curlew, WA was purchased and donated by Tery Lockitski for wildlife habitat stewardship and permaculture education programs in partnership with the Washington State University Land Trust.
- Planning of virtual tour, wildlife habitat preservation, and educational programs was initiated.
- No public access in 2021 due to Covid-19 restrictions, limited volunteer availability, and program planning. Production of Virtual Tour videos and live events are targeted for 2023 with planning, coordination, and funding throughout 2022.
- Progress on long range funding and covid-19 compliance plans were made.
For details about our designation (Federal Tax ID EIN : 87-2907496), please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org